Camps that Enhance Academics During the Summer Months
The human brain is an amazing repository for storing information. However, to keep it sharp, it needs to be continually stimulated, challenged and even entertained. Here are a variety of camps that local organizations are providing to help shape young minds while school’s out for the summer.
According to Breonna Riddick, administrative marketing assistant in the Office of Communications and Publications at Christopher Newport University in Newport News, the university will be offering four very different opportunities for campers to stay on point:
- Torggler Vocal Institute—A prestigious, two-week, immersive residency program for emerging, young vocal artists who desire to elevate their voices and unleash their talent by training with world-renowned vocal pedagogues, performers and industry professionals.
- Fathom Sailing Leadership Institute—A program designed to foster critical thinking to develop lessons learned on leadership, then apply those lessons directly to sailing experience—lessons that will extend far beyond this camp and the campers’ ability to sail. The skills developed are intended to empower students to navigate life and leadership, on and off the water.
- Summer Humanities Institute—Themed “Heroes and Epics,” the Humanities Institution provides an opportunity for students to be exposed to a wide range of thinkers and leaders who inspired dramatic shifts in ideas and values throughout history.
- Immersive Design Experience—CNU’s Department of Theater and Dance has developed an intensive, hands-on, technical theater/design program that allows students to “get their hands dirty” in the creative process. Campers will learn the processes behind the studio experience that connects the sciences, humanities and visual and performing arts.
For additional information about enrollment, visit CNU.edu/SummerPrograms.
To put an emphasis on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math skills, Ocean View Christian Academy in Norfolk will offer a variety of STEM modules within their summer camp this year, including the following:
- Coding for Beginners—Learning the basics of how to create games, interactive stories and characters with coding software.
- Minecraft—Creating and designing a Minecraft EDU platform that includes tools such as an ax, oils, swords and potions.
- Up-Cycled Race Car Building—Creating race cars using recycled materials, while learning about aerodynamics, what shapes will help the car go faster and how to save the environment at the same time.
- Digital Photography and Editing—Learning how to take professional-looking photos, in addition to editing and enhancement skills.
- Video Production—Students will create their very own short film. They will learn how to use a green screen, edit video and audio, insert transitions and much more.
“It has become increasingly important that students develop strong skills in math and science in order to succeed in the new age of information technology,” says Lauren Slenker, head of school for Ocean View Christian Academy and Preschool in Norfolk. “Our summer camp students will develop these vital life skills through our STEM modules, arts and music components, sports programs and Biblical teaching and worship. We teach the whole child by offering exciting, creative and interactive STEM experiments and projects that allow our students to build relationships, stay sharp, challenge each other and make a difference in our community now.”
Learn more at OVAcademy.com/Summer-Camp-1.
Norfolk Academy is proud to offer 135 different camps this summer for children in kindergarten through high school seniors. “While we have a wide variety of camp offerings in arts, drama, sports and more, we are very proud of our extensive academic camps,” says Anita Pozin, director of summer programs at Norfolk Academy. “These camps are designed to introduce new materials or act as a refresher to further reinforce material already learned. Providing these camps through our Summer at the Academy programming allows the students to learn in a more relaxed atmosphere while still be academically engaged.”
Some of the academic camps Norfolk Academy will offer this year include ACT Prep, Creative Writing, Engineering, Design and Innovations Adventures, Fun with Phonics, Fuse with STEM, Geometry, Lower School Study Skills and Keyboarding, Magic of Math, Robotics, SAT Prep, Spanish Playhouse, Spanish Summer, STEM: Caution! Genius at Work!, STEM plus Jedi Engineering with Lego, Study Skill and Summer Reading.
Visit NorfolkAcademy.org/Page/Signature-Programs/Summer-At-The-Academy to learn more.