Be a Local on Atlantic Avenue
Coastal Virginia Magazine’s Favorite Finds on Atlantic Avenue includes entertainment, excitement and culinary delights.
Whether you’re with family, significant others or flying solo, Virginia Beach’s Atlantic Avenue area has it all. From local hotspots to hidden gems, the following recommendations will make your experience a memorable one. Use these ideas to get started, then see what else you can discover—there’s much to explore!
There is so much to see in and around Atlantic Avenue, and most attractions are available year round.
• Honor Virginia Beach’s coastal history at the newly renovated Virginia Beach Surf & Rescue Museum.
• Photo ops—Many of the side streets and areas leading to the oceanfront offer photo opportunities with nautical, military, police and other sculptures.
• Virginia Legends Walk at the 13th Street Park includes Virginia history legends from Thomas Jefferson and Captain John Smith to Ella Fitzgerald and Patsy Cline.
• Visit the oldest structure at the Oceanfront, the Atlantic Wildfowl Heritage Museum.
Activities are available for all ages and ambition levels. Below are several options to get your juices flowing.
• During summer, Live! On Atlantic transforms the sidewalks to stages as musicians perform different styles of music to make you smile, dance and sing. These nightly performances typically span from 17th to 25th Streets, with parks at 17th and 24th Streets and the 13th Street Virginia Legends Walk stage expanding the reach of the program.
• The Fun Zone is a unique area within Live! On Atlantic that targets the young at heart. Performers on closed streets and along the block in between inspire and entertain with daring feats of strength and exciting interactive experience.
• Visit Virginia Beach Fishing Pier for a panoramic experience, and round out the experience by playing games at Beach Arcade at the Pier Shops at 15th Street.
• Take part in a game of shuffleboard with a cocktail at Beachside Social.
• Navigate through wild obstacles and game room at Jungle Golf.
• Pose for an antique-style photo at Memory Lane Old Time Photos.
• Mini golf, ice skate or play arcade games indoors at Top Gun Miniature Golf & Arcade.
• LOVE! On Atlantic Art. Signs designed by Virginia Beach art students. Located on Atlantic Ave. at 17th St., 2400 Block and 33rd. These will be great photo ops.
• Rent cruisers or beach bikes and cruise the oceanfront’s bike path at Cherie’s Bike Rentals.
Morning, noon or night, there’s nothing like satisfying your sweet tooth!
• Get a scoop from I Scream! Ice Cream, Virginia Beach’s only full-service ice cream parlor.
• Have a famous Dairy Queen Blizzard while taking in the Atlantic Ocean breeze.
• Order a dish made from Virginia’s first wood-burning oven at Il Giardino Ristorante.
• Savor made-from-scratch Mexican cuisine at Cancun Fiesta.
• Live music and excellent seafood, steaks and pasta await at Abbey Road Pub & Restaurant.
• Have locally-sourced sandwiches, wraps and more at Harvest Rooftop | Restaurant.
• Indulge in a seafood buffet at Nautilus Restaurant.
• Enjoy an inspired sea-to-table menu of fish and steaks, along with an incomparable raw bar at Catch 31.
• Crack crab legs and other delicious seafood at King of the Sea.
• A coastal dining experience awaits you at Tautog's Restaurant. Some of the finest seafood and exceptional service in a 1920s beach cottage.
For those looking to people watch or to take in stunning scenery, the Atlantic Avenue area has lots of memorable options.
• Enjoy Atlantic Avenue views at three Dough Boy’s locations. Each features great pizza and full menu selections, along with Virginia craft beer, spirits and fresh squeezed orange and margarita crushes.
• Just off Atlantic Ave is Rudee Inlet that harbors scenic views along with mouthwatering seafood and other selections at Rockafeller's Restaurant.
• Located in a former post office just off Atlantic Ave. is Smartmouth Brewery’s newest Pilot-House location, lauded for their small-batch brewing system and award-winning beer.
• Take in boardwalk views from Ocean 27’s second level deck or from their gliding tables.
MUST STOP SHOPS
Whether you’re looking to purchase some new attire, souvenirs or items to enhance your visit, this area is brimming with options.
• Resort apparel, jewelry and accessories can all be found at Beach Bodies.
• Beach essentials, souvenirs, summer clothing and more await you at Sunsations locations.
• Find your favorite college or pro sport merchandise at Sports Alley.
Fall and spring also offer a great time to enjoy Atlantic Avenue. Festivals, parades, music, art and other events, along with everyday excitement make Atlantic Avenue a popular choice throughout the year.
A special thanks to The Atlantic Avenue Association for their recent efforts. As part of their mission, they have been instrumental to assist in creating and promoting a positive experience for Virginia Beach residents, visitors and businesses along the Virginia Beach oceanfront, and specifically Atlantic Avenue.