The Pets of Hampton Roads
While droopy eyes, floppy ears and a plump, furry belly might not be at the top of your list when picking out HRMs next cover model, we beg (and pant and bark) to differ.
Well, at least when deciding on a picture purrrfect pet for our PetsIssue. Our online Hampton Roads Magazine Pets Competition rounded up hundreds of submissions
of precious pooches and cuddly kitties, and you canbet we had one ruff time narrowing it down to our six cover models. Keep reading to get purrrsonal with our cover pets and aww
away at the other furry friends we just couldnt pass up. Then head
to www.hrmag.com and check out the rest of our top picks in
our undeniably adorable HR pet community.
Snowy the dwarf rabbit
Owner: Fan Woodard
1. My biggest pet peeve is... when my sister Cocoa (Shih Tzu) rolls me around like Im her stuffed animal toy.
2. What really put a hop inyour step? When Iwas rescued from the animal shelter so I could have a new home on Christmas Day (December 2008) and a new daddy named Hunter.
3. Whats at thetop of your menu? Of course carrots, but love celery stalks too.
4. Whats your favorite toy? I like to play ball a lot... I toss it all over myhotel cage and roll it with my nose.
5. My favorite place to go is... It has to be my hotel cage...it has all the amenities.
6. A typical night for me consists of... dreaming about green pastures full of carrots and celery... my mouth is watering now.
7. What I love doing more than anything is... chillin on my float in the pool. Thats the life!
8.Kids are/arent in your future? Say what?! My mom would not be happy, and if shes not happy, then nobody is.
9. My favorite outfit is... I am a stud in my tuxedo... like you see on the Grammys.
10. My most embarrassing moment was when... my original owners didnt want me anymore and took me to the animal shelter.
Pete the Jack Russell terrier
Owner: William Menefee, Jr
1. My biggest pet peeve is... when people mess with
2. What really gets your tail wagging? The mere sight of my humans or any other humans. I love people!
3. Whats at thetop of your menu? Potatoes in any form: French fries, hash browns, potatochips, mashed potatoes.
4. Whats your favorite toy? My squirrel from Bass
5. My favorite place to go is...my grandmothers house in Luray, but I love time spent on Yorktown Beach also.
6. A typical night for me consists of...watching TV (I love shows with horses) and sharing a bowl of ice cream with my dad.
7. What I love more than anything is...weekends! My humans are home with me all day long. I love to protect them from savage squirrels!
8. Kids are/arent in your future? Kids are not in my future. If they should appear, somebody is gonna be sued!!!
9. My favorite outfit is... Im kinda torn between my George Mason University T-shirt (Im a Mason Mutt) and my new Woolrich fly fishing vest.
10. My most embarrassing moment was when... my mother and my girl dressed me up like Jack Sparrow for Halloween last year.
Sampson the cat
Owners: Nick Alexander
1. My biggest pet peeve is...not having fresh
2. What really gets your motor purring? When daddy lets me curl up in the bed with him.
Its so comfy!
3. Whats at thetop of your menu? Chicken liver and tuna! Mmmmmm yummy!
4. Whats your favorite toy? My catnip-stuffed shrimp on a stick. Daddy makes it bounce and I chase it. I always win!
5. My favorite place to go is... under the bed. When daddy is gone I like to kick back and read Surfer magazine there.
6. A typical night for me consists of... eating, playing with daddy, watch a little TV (preferably Hung on HBO), swatting at daddys head while he sleeps, getting thrown off the bed, then swatting at daddys head again, then getting kicked out of the room
for doing it!
7. What I love more than anything is... tuna! Mmmmmmmmm tuuuuuuuna!
8. Kids are/arent in your future? Well, I havent been neutered yet, so maybe theres a hot little kitty out there for me!
9. My favorite outfit is... my pharaoh headdress I wore on Halloween. It makes me feel like King Tut and act like him too! BRING ME TUNA!
10. My most embarrassing moment was when... I jumped up on the table to play and completely missed it! I mean, it was there a second ago, and next thing you know Im on my back on the floor!
Chloe the guinea pig
Owner: Ashley Schaefer
1. My biggest pet peeve is... when theres not a fresh carrot in my bowl in the morning.
2. What really gets your squeaker squeaking? When my mommy scratches my bum. And fresh carrots, too.
3. Whats at the top of your menu? Carrots! And lettuce and cucumber and celery
4. Whats your favorite toy? My purple plastic Pig-loo.
5. My favorite place to go is... inside my Pig-loo, nestled under a blanket, or snuggled up on my mommys lap.
6. A typical night for me consists of... chattering at my guinea pig foe, Olive, and wheeking every time the refrigerator door opens.
7. What I love more than anything is... what else?! CARROTS! Oh, and scurrying around my mommys apartment while she chases after me!
8. Kids are/arent in your future? I suppose its a possibility if mommy mistakenly gets me a new male piggy friend
9. My favorite outfit is... a big brightly colored bow around my neck! Shows off my girlish figure.
10. My most embarrassing moment was when... I peed on grandma. But Im still her favorite grand-guinea pig
Logan the Bernese mountain dog
Owners: Cindi and Dave Harry
1. My biggest pet peeve is... when Im just getting to know a cute girl dog my human has to say its ok, hes neutered. How humiliating.
2. What really gets your tail wagging? I really get a big smile on my face when my human puts on my service vest. I know then that we are going to the elementary school to help the kids read. I think I help alot and that makes me tail-wagging happy
3. Whats at thetop of your menu? Well, let me tell you, I like most everything there is, but my very favorite is Green Tripe. Yummy.
4. Whats your favorite toy? I guess I could say any toy I can pull the stuffing out of, but I like the very, very noisy ones that squeak-squeak. It drives my humans crazy
5. My favorite place to go is... I have tons of places I love
to go but I think my very favorite place is the farm where my human takes me to herd sheep. They are lots of fun but keep running away from me. I just want to say Hi!
6. A typical night for me consists of... good food, a long walk, belly rubs and sitting on my humans lap.
7. What I love more than anything is... I love making friends with all the people I meet when I pull my cart in parades.
8. Kids are/arent in your future? I love kids but have to make do with the human kind
9. My favorite outfit is... Outfit?? Im a manly dog; we dont wear outfits. Oh, please.
10. My most embarrassing moment was when... my human put reindeer antlers on me and took pictures. Even put them on the internet for all to see. Yikes!
Bandit the Cavalier
King Charles Spaniel
Owner: Barbara Hill
1. My biggest pet peeve is... when my family takes me for a walk, but they wont let me check everyone and everything out. Exactly whose walk is it anyways?
2. What really gets your tail wagging? I didnt know that my tail was supposed to stop wagging. I guess life keeps my tail wagging.
3. Whats at thetop of your menu? I will give cold nose ice cream kisses to anyone that gives me a pet cup from
4. Whats your favorite toy? My
favorite toy would have to be my Frisbee.
5. My favorite place to go is... anywhere with my family, but I would have to say the beach is probably my favorite place to run and play. I love the sand between my toes, up my nose, in my mouth while I chase sand crabs and my Frisbee.
6. A typical night for me consists of... waiting for my brothers to get off of this big yellow thing with wheels. After greeting them it is time to go off to the soccer fields to say hi to all my friends. After dinner comes my favorite part of the day: I get to take my family for a walk. I am usually pretty tired after that and I am very content to curl up next to my mom.
7. What I love more than anything is... doing my job. I am a professional lap
dog and I take my job very seriously
8. Kids are/arent in your future? There will be no biological children in my future. But I may adopt.
9. My favorite outfit is... the one I was born with. A silky fur coat is all I need.
10. My most embarrassing moment was when...I thought I was going to the vet to get tutored. Instead, I got neutered.
Isle of Wight County
Isle of Wight County
K9 New Life Center
The Cat Corner
Paws for Reflection
Pet Portrait Express
DAYCARE & BOARDING
Arf Pet Care
Club Pet at Beach
Holly Ridge Manor
Ja-Pens Pet Center
Park Avenue Pups
St. Francis Pet Resort
Thee Dog House
Wags to Whiskers
Ridgway Bark Park
Fido Field at
Red Wing District
Waller Mill Dog Park,
Blue Horse Mukwa
Garden of the
Day Star Pets
For Your Pets Sake
Paws R Us
Pusses Pet Sitting
We Love Your Pets,