How To Create a Gallery Wall in 5 Simple Steps
The best thing about a great frame wall is the opportunity to show off some serious personality. Gallery walls are currently a huge home trend and a great way to make a statement in any space. But, it can be a daunting task especially with all of the options a frame wall allows. Check out these instructions for designing the perfect statement for your home, plus some budgeting ideas (this whole project can cost under $20) and learn how to keep your gallery wall trendy in Coastal Virginia.
- Printed images
- Picture Frames
1. Select the location for your gallery wall.
It could be above pieces of furniture like couches, beds or desks, but you can really hang them anywhere. They also look great in hallways and above staircases.
2. Gather your images. Select varying amounts of vertical and horizontal images in different sizes. You can throw in illustrations, fun prints and designs, colors, family photos, inspirational words, magazine covers (CoVa anyone?), iconic photograph, etc. Choose images that reflect your style and personality, and mix up your personal photos by choosing some in black and white and some in color. You can purchase prints from websites like Etsy and Rifle Paper Co. (although this can get very expensive) or you can print the same images yourself, from pictures you find online and on Pinterest. To see how your pictures will coordinate, create a Pinterest board with your selected images.
Coastal Virginia Trend: Focus on fun water and beach imagery like waves, old-fashioned beach photos, lighthouses, surfing, sandcastles, palm trees, sea life, old postcards, summer phrases and family photos.
3. Select your frames in different shapes, sizes, colors and textures. Mix and match with metallic and matte finishes and modern and old world designs. You can use frames already in your home, or you can buy inexpensive frames at Target and certain Dollar Tree stores. Target even offers inexpensive packs of frames in different sizes and colors, which are perfect for this project. Make sure that any frames you use will fit the space available on your wall. If you don’t want to use frames for all of your images, washi tape is a cute and clever way to hang pictures without frames.
Coastal Virginia Trend: Mix and match white and silver frames for an elegant beachy look.
4. Fill your frames. On a large flat surface, plan out the arrangement of your gallery. Play around with different configurations until you find one that fits your wall and style. You can also add accents to your wall, with items like letters, clocks, mirrors, signs and fun shapes like arrows, keys and others that you can find at stores like Michaels and Target. If you’re not sure how to arrange your pictures, focus on symmetry when laying out your wall, but mix and match the arrangements of vertical and horizontal frames; that being said, there is no “right” way to do a gallery wall.
Coastal Virginia Trend: Add items like seashells, sand dollars, starfish, oars and other ocean-themed décor, for extra flair on your wall.
5. Once you’ve decided on the layout of your wall, you’re ready to hang your frames.
Use a pencil and ruler to evenly space each picture, and hang accordingly.