5 Ways to Stay Active in the Summer
The hot summer days are upon us, and it can be tempting to put workouts on the backburner and stay in the AC. This summer, don’t let the heat keep you down. Here are five fun ways to get up, get outside and get active.
1. Take a hike. Take advantage of nature’s shade and go on a hike. Pass through Cyprus swamps, forests and salt marsh at Virginia Beach’s Cape Henry Trail.
2. Walk it off. Instead of laying on the beach all day, take an occasional walk along the shoreline or bring a volleyball or Frisbee to play with friends. This way you’ll still get some sun but can burn some calories at the same time. Plus, the extra effort it takes to walk in the sand adds an extra fat-burning element.
3. Spend a day at the water park. For kids and adults alike, this is a great way to get off the couch and out of the AC. Check out Ocean Breeze Waterpark on General Booth Blvd.
4. Train for a triathlon— or a mini-triathlon. Get a group of friends and create your own. Run for 20 minutes, bike for 30, and finish with a swim. Or sign up for Virginia Beach’s Life’s a Beach Triathlon on June 11—a short triathlon anyone can finish.
5. Learn to Stand Up Paddle board. Stand up paddle boarding is the fastest-growing watersport in the world, and for good reason. It delivers a full-body workout with only a couple pieces of equipment. Explore the waters of Virginia Beach through a tour or lesson from Beach Eco Tours.