8 Awesome Side Effects Experienced by Weightlifting Women
Carry your groceries like a boss.
Weightlifting provides a multitude of health benefits for women, like building lean muscle, burning calories, strengthening your bones and improving cardiovascular health. For some reason, there’s a stigma surrounding weightlifting that prevents some women from getting into it—specifically, the idea that it makes you bulky or that it’s dangerous. I address some of these common concerns in this post.
But the benefits of weightlifting span beyond just a woman’s physical health. There are tons of other advantages that you should take into consideration when deciding whether to take on weight training. Here are 8 benefits of lifting weights:
- Carrying all the groceries inside in one trip. Because multiple trips are for sissies.
- Moving heavy furniture by yourself. You know, if you’re not feeling the feng shui in your house but nobody’s around to help you fix it. Boom. Done.
- Picking up your kids without breaking a sweat. Heck, you can even pick up other people’s kids too. Twins? No problem—that’s why you have two arms. Keep the kids coming; you got this.
- Never checking your bags at the airport. Haul those suckers around the terminal and onto the plane with you, just cause you can. “No guns here, sir. Well, except these lethal biceps.”
- Surprising people with your athletic ability. Co-workers joining a softball league? Impromptu game of volleyball at the beach? You got this. You might not be an expert at the game, but you’re in shape enough to hold your own.
- Speaking of the beach—looking awesome in a bathing suit. Enough said.
- Wearing whatever you want. This goes two ways. You obviously look better in your jeans and cute tank tops, but it’s also great for when you don’t feel like changing into real clothes. Nobody questions your choice to wear yoga pants all day, or not change out of your sweats after the gym, if you’re in shape. It’s just assumed you’re off to the gym, whether you really are or not.
- Feeling like a boss. Life is so much better when you feel good about yourself and you’re confident in your ability to take on whatever comes your way.
So what are you waiting for? Pick up a barbell and get ready to change your life.